The Six Human Needs
According to Human Needs Psychology there are six basic needs which are universal and that we all try to fulfill in varying degrees:
- Certainty. The need for security, stability, and reliability.
- Variety. The need for change, stimulation, and challenge.
- Significance. The need to feel acknowledged, recognized, and valued.
- Love and Connection. The need to love and to feel loved, and to feel connection with others.
- Growth. The need to grow, improve and develop, both in character and in spirit.
- Contribution. The need to give, to help others, and to make a difference.
The first four are the needs of the personality and the last two are more of the spirit. When we are meeting the needs of the personality in ways which are empowering and not harmful, then we will be in a better position to fulfill the needs of the spirit. Discovering which needs are most important to us and how we try to meet those needs is an essential step towards having more harmony in our lives and our relationships.
Which needs are most important for you?
What do you do to meet those needs?
Are you meeting those needs in a way which is empowering or in a way which is destructive?